You can use the LED Off/On switch on the rear panel of the router to turn the LEDs on the top of the router on or off.
Note: The Power LED stays lit even if the LED Off/On switch is in the off position.
Install Your Router
Make sure that your Internet service is active before you install your router.
To install your router:
1. Attach the antennas.
a. To determine where to attach the antennas, match the labels on the antennas with the labels on the router.
b. Align the antennas with the antenna posts on the router.
c. Attach the antennas on the threaded antenna posts.
d. Position the antennas for the best WiFi performance.
NETGEAR recommends that you position all of the antennas vertically, as shown.
2. Prepare your modem.
a. Unplug your modem’s power.
b. If the modem has a battery backup, remove its batteries.
c. If your modem was already connected to another router, disconnect the cable between your modem and that router.
Make sure that your modem is turned off and is cabled only to the wall jack for your Internet service.
3. Connect your modem.
a. Plug in, then turn on your modem.
b. If you removed the batteries, replace them.
c. With the yellow Ethernet cable that came with the router, connect your modem to the yellow Internet port on your router.
4. Add power to the router.
a. Connect the power adapter to the router and plug the power adapter into an outlet.
b. Wait for the Power LED on the front panel to light amber and turn white.
If no LEDs are lit, press the Power On/Off button on the rear panel of the router.
5. Connect a computer.
You can use an Ethernet cable or connect with WiFi:
- For a wired connection, use an Ethernet cable (not included) to connect your computer to a black Ethernet port on your router.
- To connect with WiFi, use the WiFi settings on the product label.
6. Launch a web browser.
The first time that you connect to the router, the genie screen displays. Follow the genie steps to connect to the Internet.
If the genie screen does not display, try the following:
- Close and reopen the browser.
- Make sure that your computer is connected to one of the four black LAN Ethernet ports on the router, or that you are connected to your WiFi network.
- Make sure that the router has full power, and that its Power LED is lit.
- If your computer is set to a static or fixed IP address (this is uncommon), change it to obtain an IP address automatically from the router.
If you still do not see the genie screen, log in to the router so that genie can detect your Internet connection.
To log in to the router:
1. Launch a web browser.
2. Enter www.routerlogin.net in the address field of the browser. A login screen displays.
3. Enter admin for the user name and password for the password.
The BASIC Home screen displays. If your Internet connection is not set up yet, genie automatically detects your Internet connection.